Head Start

Head Start is a national program that aims to promote school readiness in our youngest children. Children must be 3 or 4 years old by August 31st of the current year. 

Gaston Community Action's Head Start Program has 7 Head Start centers and serves 431 children in Gaston and Lincoln Counties. Each Head Start center is designed to meet the needs of the children, families and cultures that they serve. 

Head Start focuses on preparing children for school, working to develop each child's social and learning skills through:
  • High Quality Education
  • Individualized Curriculum
  • Family Case Management
  • Disability Services and Support
  • Mental Health Services for Children
  • Meal Plans
  • Health Screening and assistance (Including Dental, Vision and Hearing)
Who is Eligible for Head Start?

Head Start Services offer free services to families who reside in Gaston and Lincoln counties and meet federal low-income guidelines. Families who receive public assistance or other benefits may also be eligible. 

Head Start in now Enrolling for the 2022 - 2023 School Year!

For more information and/or to speak to a family advocate/center manager, please call the 
center nearest you!


USDA Non-Discrimination Statement

"The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political, beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or if all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at
www.usda.gov, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form.You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at [email protected]

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (in Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer."

2020-2021: North Carolina Pandemic Electronic Benefits Transfer (P-EBT) for Children Under Age 6 

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2022 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.